Does Oviedo require a permit to build a fence?
Yes. Yes! Yes!! When building a fence within the city limits of Oviedo, or any Central Florida municipality, that fence must be permitted. Don’t let anyone or any company in Oviedo convince you otherwise. In fact, if a fence company tells you that you don’t need a permit, run fast and don’t look back. Chances are the fence company or individual is not licensed and insured, and the fence they install for you will not meet local building codes.
What happens if you build a fence without a permit?
- First, permits are a great way to ensure that the work completed was done correctly, and is completed to building code. Think of it as a form of consumer protection. Permits will need to pass an inspection with code enforcement in order to be closed.
- Secondly, unpermitted work can affect your homeowner’s insurance coverage in addition to causing very costly issues if you decide to sell your home.
- Last, you can be fined by the city, then have to purchase a permit and pass an inspection. Your inspection may fail, resulting in you needing to complete the project again.
If you are still thinking that you don’t need a fence permit, think twice. When you try to pull that fence permit, a city permit technician will utter words such as:
- Historic District
- Special District
- Signed and Stamped Architectural Drawing
- Planned Develop Agreement
- Pool Code
- Double Frontage Lot
- Front Yard Set Back
- Reverse Corner
- Maximize Height Limits
- Urban Design
- Department of Transportation
- Visibility Triangle
- Corner Clip
- Administrative Modification
- Variance and much more…..
This is why it’s important to hire professionals who understand permitting and your municipality’s building codes.
So yes!!! You do need a fence permit! Visit the City of Oviedo website and find out more: https://www.cityofoviedo.net/478/Building-Permits When in doubt call Paramount Fencing or visit them on the web at www.paramountfencing1.com
ALL MUNICIPALITIES IN CENTRAL FLORIDA AREA REQUIRE FENCE PERMITS, EVEN IF YOU ARE ONLY REPLACING. THE ONLY EXCEPTIONS ARE CITY OF ORLANDO AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT HAVE A POOL, AND UNINCORPORATED LAKE COUNTY OR SEMINOLE COUNTY WHO DO NOT REQUIRE FENCE PERMITS FOR CHAIN LINK OR FIELD FENCE.